Thursday, December 15, 2011

Competition Is The Birth Innovation






Competition Is The Birth Innovation

 I’m very competitive it runs in my blood. My mom says it comes from my grandfather because my grandfather is very competitive. On a recent Thanksgiving trip to visit them, I saw why.  When we visited their house my mother took me into my grandfather’s bed room. In his room were two NES’s (an old videogame console) on top of each of other under a television stand. In the topmost NES was an Othello videogame. We left the room. After Thanksgiving dinner I asked my Uncle Willy why my granddad had two NES in his bedroom. My uncle laughed and said that he used to stay up all night and try to beat the computer at that Othello game until he won.  A little while later that day me and him played WII bowling, and when I won he wouldn’t let me stop playing him until he beat me.

This by far is the wierdest and hardest game I have ever played. I have no idea how or why my grandfather tried to play this game.
A NES.
My competitive nature is no different. I remember in elementary school I would used to race finish homework faster than the kids that were smarter than me. In kick ball I would always be pitcher and still try to run to the outfield just to catch an out.  Through the years my competitive nature and I were my best friends, until I started losing. I remember in middle school I used to always miss layups when playing basketball and as I got older I would always get picked last. At the skate park I would always play games of S.K.A.T.E (A version basketball’s H.O.R.S.E. on a skateboard) against little kids and would always lose. As I got older the line of losses got more devastating and terrible.  Just this year I auditioned for a spot in an All County Band and I didn’t make it after practicing hours on end. Then I came to a realization competition makes you work harder. The more you lose the more you want to win. Think about it, how many times have practiced for something just to beat someone else who you know is better than you?
  
This has happened to me numerous times, but as this started happening more and more I realized why it was happening. If I would have won or succeeded in whatever I was doing I would probably stop practicing or trying as hard as I did, because I had nothing to compete with. I realized what was driving me to do whatever I was doing not was winning, but destroying my opponent and making them realize that I was better than them. Upon my new discovery I realized that winning was pointless, someone else is always better than you and someone else’s opinion never matters. From my reflections on this experience I concluded that competition is pointless and the only good that comes from it is the failure that pushes you to improve and win the next pointless competition.


1 comment: