Thursday, December 15, 2011

There Is No Such Thing as Originality



I hate shopping for school clothes although I love getting something new. However nothing is ever new; it all been done and recreated at least ten different times. This I why I hate shopping for school clothes, particularly this year.  This year I started my school clothes shopping about the second month of school. Since I had been in school for a while I was able to see what other people were wearing.  This period of waiting and observing the new and original messed me up mentally. When I finally went school shopping I couldn’t find anything I wanted to wear because nothing I saw was original new or creative. For a moment I couldn’t find anything I wanted until I realized that nothing was original.  This gave me some comfort but not without learning a lesson from my mental struggles.

I know almost no one will understand this but last year doing holiday break I was watching this commericail for DVS Shoes. The commerical is basically about a fake lawyer who sues for filmed skate clips that have already been done at spots. Click the link to watch if you want.


From this experience I learned that someone somewhere has the exact same things you want or already have. This defeats the purpose of originality and also defeats the sub-culture of hipsters (because hipsters is considered a sub-culture it is no longer different it contradicts its self). Because nothing in this world is new, different, or original, the idea of an idea contradicts itself; this sentence is a lie. Originality never existed because we are all the same. We all think the same, therefore there has never been a thought someone hasn’t already thought of, and because that originality is dead. The fact that I saw this statement that originality is dead on a t-shirt my friend got from Tilly’s is unoriginal. The improvisations in jazz music aren’t even original because playing any music note let alone a playing solo or an instrument has already been done. Originality has never existed because there is no such thing as a new idea. The thought of an idea is flawed because an idea is only new to the person who created it and not other people. Once you tell other people something they think of that and because of that thought it becomes their idea. This idea of “ideas” makes originality impossible. It’s like playing the game, if you tell someone you lose the game they automatically think of it and lose the game. I Bet someone else in the world has already done a rant and learned a lesson analogous to this. Wasting time on thoughts like this is pointless. In general thoughts and ideas are pointless and unoriginal and there is no such thing as originality. In the end I hope we all can learn a similar lesson to this and realize that every thought that seems cool and original is lie.


















I know this is a hoodie but you get the point.



1 comment:

  1. Even though people have the same clothes , it's your chance to make it into your own style .
    You're a unique guy Myles . Your " swag " and personality is different and very original :)

    ReplyDelete