Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Dad


Of course the one who gave life to me and the one that I resemble has taught me a few valuable lessons.  My father (who also has the name Myles) is a good person. He works as an architect from around 9-5 and 6-10. He comes home late almost every night. Because of that, I always used to ask why he works so much and every time I did  he always would reply “it’s not work it’s just something I do“.  I never understood that, how could going to work be just something you do; I go to school it’s just something I do. I found that quite bizarre and after a while, my dad started to become an enigma to me. I started to look at him as though he were an old pet walking around, his youthful energy all gone and now just going through the motions of daily life. Soon, I started to ask him strange questions and say peculiar statements just to hear his reply just to find out how much he knew. Some questions were math problems others were statements about colors, but on one regular day, I told him that I didn’t want to go to school. This was the time I heard the wisest thing he has ever said to me. He looked at me puzzled and said “you are in school right now, it may not seem like it, but you are learning everyday”. Then he got his comforting parent look and said, “I learned a lesson from you, sometimes you got just man up and do it. Do you remember that online personal fitness class you had to take, but didn’t want to?  You spent hours on those assignments you thought were pointless but you did them anyway. Sometimes, you just got to do what you have to.” After he said that, we left to go to school, and later on the bus, it finally clicked with me. We are learning everyday and even the things we do or don’t like to do make us wiser and more knowledgeable in the end. After this experience with my dad, I started to ask him even more complex questions just to hear his response, but replies are filled with I don’t knows and go ask your mother’s.
I kinda view my dad  like an old bicycle as well.  An old bike is old,  it works, and has to keeep  balanced to stay like  and my dad is the same way.



I guess you can conclude from this is that father’s are very unreadable book’s that today’s youth are ill-equipped to comprehend. Although I this fact about fathers may only apply to mine he taught me how to buckle down and do things. As I mentioned earlier, my dad is a workaholic and always has stuff to do. I watched do pointless work for countless hours on end. I learned from him what he learned from me, sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.


 





3 comments:

  1. I can really relate to this. I feel the same way about my Dad. Good lesson

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dad taught me the same valuable lesson your dad taught to: sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. its a good thing to remember going through life and it helps to get the job done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad taught me a lot of lessons as well. I can totally relate to this

    ReplyDelete